Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stereotype is a musician's "magma"

As a musician, I love exploring different kinds of music, play with new instruments, experiment with new sounds. But in the real world, I see that a lot of musicians are stuck. Stuck in a genre dictated to them by society. Typecast to just one kind of music, limiting their creativity. I believe these musicians are artists; they should not be caged or bound by people’s perceptions of how they should sound and what they should sing. They should belong in a limitless world to really achieve their fullest potential. It just saddens me to watch some musicians settling with “just ok” because of what people think, or expect from them. A lot of great talent goes to waste. But I know deep in their veins, creativity is gurgling, ready to spew out.

For me, “stigma” is a “magma” that melts away artists’ possibilities.

That’s why I made this song. To defy people’s perception that one musician should belong to just one genre of music, or can never try something new. Something different. Something totally out of character. I’d rather die than be boxed in like that. And with this song, I made a music video showing Blur behind me. Blur is one of the bands that I believe encapsulates my song. They defied boundaries, disregarded peoples’ dictation and just played their hearts out (specially after the Britpop wars).

Damon Albarn (Blur’s vocals) even made a deviant band called Gorillaz that really showed the people another world of possibilities. He also invaded the theater, being part of the musical play (Opera) “Monkey Journey To the West”.
Splendid!

-GORGORO HENSON

No comments: